Sunday, January 25, 2009

Boy update

So last week I met with Michael and Mavrick’s teachers. Seems both of my boys are having issues at school. Their behavior is great, but their study habits are not. Michael seemed to like having no homework so well during Christmas break that he decided to continue for the two weeks following. Mavrick is a player, in every sense of the word. Plays games, plays the women… he is a player. So, my work load just increased considerably. I am now checking and going over each assignment on the weekly list and playing catch up with Michael, and quizzing them both over math facts, phonics, and a lot of reading. I have thought several times that if I had not quit my job at the Town, I would have needed to do so by now simply due to the school work load when the boys get home.

The school is having basketball sign-ups for Michael’s grade this week, and he really wants to play. I would really like for him to play. So I am really hoping that will help his motivation with school work. We also changed his Rx after Thanksgiving, and that is when his teacher says things started going south. Obviously, this med didn’t help him focus and get things done. On Friday we went back to the Dr and got on another script. I am hoping that this one will make a big change in everything for him. Our insurance sucks and doesn’t cover these types of Rx, so a month’s supply is $125. YIKES! But it is my child, so there is no choice or decision to make. We just get it. I pray it helps!

I go to meet with a diagnostician for LISD to discuss Mavrick on Tuesday. He is easily distracted, but he also stumbles through school. He literally got from K4 through 1st grade by just being cute and charming. He is still charming his 2nd grade teacher, but I warned her that he would. She is not taking it as easy on him as the teacher in the past have. That child, he is funny, but he ain’t right. Mark has dyslexia, Michael has a processing delay, and Mavrick… well that is what we are working on finding out.

Major’s 9 month check up was on Thursday. The Dr said he is perfect. He weighed 19.12 lbs (35th percentile), and was 2 feet 4 inches tall (70th percentile). He is tall and skinny. Wonder where he gets that! It’s sure not from the Johnston side.

No comments: