Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year! 2010!

We started out our New Year the way we have for several of the past year, with some great friends! We started having a NYE party about 7 or 8 years ago, when we and everyone we knew had itty-bitty kids, but we still wanted to hangout and ring in the New Year rather than go to bed at 9:00. I have grown to believe that it is really important to teach our kids traditions and the importance of being socially active.

In addition to having friends and neighbors over, another tradition that my kids do came from some other really good friends in Arkansas, the Goodpastor’s. We spent many New Year’s Eves with them and my parents after mom and dad moved to Dallas. Their family always got pots and pans and went outside and banged on them with a spoon. Now, every year, right before mid-night, my boys line all the kids up in the kitchen and pass out pots and spoons and them march them outside to count down. It is so much fun to see them having their traditions, and it always makes me think of Mike and Sudean.







My mom always said to start the New Year doing what you want to do all year long. So, for me, that entailed going to the gym, doing a little shopping with girlfriends, taking the kids to the movies and eating our favorite pizza for dinner. I would say it was a great way to start out a great New Year!

And today was just as good as yesterday. I went to the gym this morning for Yoga. At the beginning of each class we take a moment and “set our intention for the class.” Today, I wanted to “push myself just a bit more.” I had not been to Yoga in about a month, so I was not sure what that point would be, but it is a new year, so bring it! So, today, I flipped my dog – both ways! I had been kind of scared to do that before, but know that I know I can, I will do it from now on! Yea Me!

And now, I am about to snuggle up in a warm blanket and watch Texas Tech win the Alamo Bowl. Happy New Year all!

No comments: