Saturday, January 30, 2010

I Love Yoga!

We haven’t discussed Yoga in a while. I love Yoga. It has been amazing for my body. I have seen huge changes in my ability to stretch. I love being able to move closer and closer to a pose until I can master it. I love that my wrists and arms are getting so much stronger. And I love the way I feel when class is over – like I have had a message. I love when the college girls are home from school at Christmas or summer and come in for the first time ready to conquer the world, and they leave saying, that was harder than I thought it would be. I love Yoga!

There is a pose that most people have heard of, but may not know: Downward Facing Dog.

Well there is a variation of this pose where you throw one of your legs up, back and over – this is called Flipping Your Dog. I was very uncomfortable with this pose for a very long time. Just after the New Year, I went for it. I flipped my dog. And I was so proud of my progress. I still have some work to do to master this pose, but I am so happy that my body is getting stronger!

I have been going pretty regularly for the last few months. By regular I mean twice a week. The last two weeks I was not able to go due to one thing or another. But today I was able to go back. It was wonderful. I was surprised at how tight I was, but by the end of class I was back on track.

There is a pose that I have been working on that I made a huge step forward with today. It is called the Bird of Paradise. To start you bind in side angle. To bind is to reach one of your hands around your back and the other one under your leg, and then grab your hands together in the back. Once you have done this, you balance and raise your leg ending up in the Bird of Paradise. Today I was able to bind and almost get balanced enough to raise my leg.



OK, you may be thinking, well that is easy enough. If you are, and you don’t practice Yoga regularly, stop what you are doing and try binding. Let me know how that worked out for you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the best balance poses is Bird of Paradise. It is one of my favorites. Yoga guru Leeann Carey breaks the pose down in a free yoga video. I thought your readers might like it: http://www.planetyoga.com/yoga-blogs/free-yoga-video-birds-of-paradise-pose/