Tuesday, August 18, 2009

HS moms

Let me start by saying, I don’t write this blog to offend anyone. I just write what is on my crazy little mind… sometimes it is offensive, sometimes it is funny, sometimes it is entirely too much information, sometimes it is spiritual, sometimes it is stupid. I prefer to think of myself as complex. So, with that said, lets discuss the home school community.

Most people think of the Duggar’s; the family in Arkansas with 18 kids. All the women have long hair and wear skirts and those little bonnets. The men have long beards and drive a mule to work in the morning. You know what I mean. The home schoolers that the main stream media would like for us to believe to be the only ones. I have been to three events now, and with each event, it is getting better and I am finding a whole different breed of homeschool moms.

At the first event, to be honest, I was the cutest mom there! Really. There were probably a round a hundred women there and I was definitely in the top 5. I left there kind of torn. If I want an ego booster, this is the place to be. However, there just wasn’t enough glam… not any sparkle, to this homeschooling crowd.

The next event was at a water park. There must have been a bazillion kids there. Mom and dad’s from every which walk of like. I only saw ONE tattoo that evening. But there were some little bullies on the waterslide that messed with Michael. So, that just goes to prove, if you have a brat, he is going to be a brat in public school or at home (until someone beats his little butt).

Finally, tonight, I went to a HS support group at my church. And, although I only met a few moms, I think that there are more moms out there like me. There are moms who are just trying to get through the week, the day even. There are moms whose house is a mess. There are moms who have too much laundry to do. There are moms who are taking this whole thing one day at a time. And there are moms who can help me bring some glam to homeschooling! Tonight was the best group I have met, and I am excited again!

1 comment:

Julie B said...

Maybe you're supposed to be the most glamorous of the moms to inspire future moms who may get in to home schooling feeling the same way you are now. That there is not enough glam. They will look at you for the example of how 'normal' it can be! (no long skirts/hair, etc!)
:)