Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Fashionista's Attend a Wedding

Today was Amy’s wedding. Amy is an ADPi that I have known for 8 or 9 years. She babysat /nanny-ed for us when Michael and Mavrick were small, she was in the chapter when I was an advisor and she is an officer in the Alumnae Association that I am a member of. She is just a very special friend that I have had the pleasure of seeing grow from a college girl into a beautiful, mature woman. And she got married today.

Of course, the boys wanted to attend this wedding, so I took all three of them. I was out with another group of sorority sisters last night, so Major and I slept in. We then watched TV in bed till 10:30. At that point, we hit the ground running. Breakfast, showers, then getting everyone dressed. I don’t know if I have mentioned anything about the two young fashionistas that live with me, but when it comes to dressing themselves, the two older drama queens now know more about fashion than I do. Just ask them, they will be happy to tell you!

So, before I go to take my shower, I lay their clothes out. Mavrick follows me into his room and wants to wear a specific outfit. This is pretty much the conversation:
The one he wore to Tori’s graduation party.
Well, that was jeans and you are not wearing jeans to Amy’s wedding.
Why not?
Because there are holes in those jeans.
I am not wearing shorts.
How about these pants, do they fit?
(holding them up to himself) Yes. And I want to wear that vest.
OK, where is that vest?
I don’t know, in there somewhere
(I am standing in his closet)How about this undershirt?
No, I have to wear that other shirt that goes with the vest.

Then I go to Michael’s room, and lucky for me, he didn’t follow me AND I pretty much knew what I would lay out for him. So, I go running off downstairs telling them to get in the shower then come down and let me do their hair.

OK, between the time I go downstairs and Mav comes down, they have BOTH decided that they need to wear a tie to Amy’s wedding. This would have been fine, if they would have let me know first thing this morning, or even last night, but at 11:30, no. Michael probably does not even have one that fits! Anyway, Mav comes down for me to do his hair, and has a navy blue, striped, clip-on tie clipped to the outside of his vest! Yes, it was very funny. Yes, it was precious that it was so important for him to look a certain way for Amy’s wedding. No, there was not a snowball’s chance that I was letting him wear it!
That conversation went a lot like this:
You look very nice, but you can’t wear that tie
Why not, it goes
Not really the tie is blue and the pants are black
This looks black, and it looks good, mom
Yes, it looks good, but you are not wearing that tie with that vest to Amy’s wedding
Uhhhh, mom, you don’t know anything about fashion
I have a college degree in fashion, mister
I’ve never seen it
Go look on the wall in my office….so he goes and comes back
It didn’t say anything about fashion
You are not wearing a tie with that vest to Amy’s wedding. This is the most important day of her life and I am not taking the boys she used to babysit looking like a bunch of hooligans!

Mav was pissed at me, but he didn’t wear the tie.

I then finish getting dressed and go into the living room and yell for Michael to come down and let me do his hair. He is dressed. Imagine this if you will…Navy shorts, Navy and white striped Polo (with a red Polo on the chest) golf shirt. The two buttons on the shirt are buttoned and he is wearing a red clip-on tie! That conversation was along these lines:
Michael, you are not wearing that tie
Why not
Because you look ridiculous
But I want to wear a tie.
NO! You should have told me that before now!
Mom, come on. If you don’t like this one, how about this one (holds up a blue striped one) or this one (holds up a green one).
NO! You don’t wear a tie with that kind of shirt. I don’t have time to iron a shirt for you and I don’t even know if you have one that fits. This is the most important day of her life and I am not taking the boys she used to babysit looking like a bunch of hooligans!You can both wear a tie to the next wedding we go to.

I’ll be honest with you; I was worn out before we even left the house. We had to go get a card and gift, and Major something to wear. Then we finally headed to the wedding. We got inside and seated and Major starts to go nuts. I took him out into the hall, where I hope people couldn’t hear him, and he ran around the entire time. There were speakers in the hall, so I was able to see and hear the ceremony. It was beautiful. Amy was breath taking.

The reception was pretty much the same way, Major ran around like a wild child, so we didn’t stay long. We all got to hug and congratulate Amy, and that is really why we went anyway. It all turned out fine.

Just to add on to the fashionistas and my day, tonight, Mark got home about 8:30 and I had to go to Wally World. When we got home today, the exhausted mom put on a tank top and a pair of boxers. Well, that is what I was still wearing when I went to WW. When I came in with my bags at darn near 10:00, Michael says “MOM! You went to the store like that!” That boy is walking a thin line.

No comments: