Sunday, December 28, 2008

Change - Good?

This year Christmas was a little different. A typical Christmas in the Pittard home finds us greeting my sister-in-law, Glenda, and her significant other, Marla at the front door sometime on Christmas eve, rushing off to Christmas eve service at church, having dinner at my mom and dad’s, returning home to put out cookies and milk for Santa and everyone retiring for a good nights sleep. Mom and Dad will then arrive at our house at 7:30 and we will all go into the game room together to see what Santa has brought. We open gifts then have a wonderful breakfast that the lady of the house has prepared and return to the fun in the game room as each one of us gets dressed for the rest of the events of the day.

So, this year, Glenda and Marla both had to work on Christmas eve and didn’t come till Christmas day. For me, and probably only for me, it threw everything off some. I am usually fine with change… throw me a curve ball, I’ll still catch it. But this just blew me off the ball field. We did Christmas eve service, we did dinner at mom and dad’s, we did stay up till midnight wrapping gifts. But this was the first night in Michael’s life that we haven’t had Glenda and Marla with us for Christmas eve. I didn’t even make my wonderful Christmas breakfast. We just had cinnamon rolls. Isn’t it funny how one little change from tradition can seem to throw everything off? I really think I was the only one affected by it, but still, I missed them and the way we are supposed to do things.

No comments: