Wednesday, April 13, 2011

What's normal?

Maybe it is a season I am in, but I have to wonder, "What is normal?" and "Am I normal?" I think I am obsessive. I think I am in denial about several things. I think I am an exhausted mother of three wonderful boys. I think I am co-dependent. I think I love the life I have.

I was talking with my neighbor, Kelly, today and we were discussing how we are tired, and have absolutely NO motivation. We agreed that in our minds we should not be allowed to own homes or care for children. LOL! OK, so I am being a bit dramatic, but this whole adult thing is not what I thought it was going to be. Don't get me wrong. Given the opportunity, I can't think of a thing that I would really change. Well, I would probably triple Mark's salary, but other than that, I'm in a pretty good place.

What I am trying to say, I guess, is that my car has french fries in the floorboard... my house is dusty... I hate to clean toilets... There is always more than one load of laundry that needs to be cleaned... I wear my hair in a ponytail because I would rather sleep an extra 20 minutes than use the flat iron... my floors need to be mopped...I think I still have a few Christmas decorations left out...I eat like a college student...I feed my kids too many fast food meals...I spend money on wasteful things...I am so not perfect! I am not even near the person I thought I would be.

And that brings me to...Are any of us? Are any of us who we thought we would grow up to be? And is that normal? Is my idea of normal just something that the media and society helped to create? Is my idea of normal just another idea that should be put on a shelf with the airbrushed body I will never have? Or am I normal - Are we all somewhat screwed up? Did we all had these visions of perfection and have fallen short of what/who we thought we would grow up to be? Maybe we haven't fallen short, but just totally different. What is normal?

No comments: