Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Deep Thoughts with Michelle

Has anyone ever said something to you that kind of makes your rethink your whole life… Kind of makes you wonder who you are and who you were?

I have recently been reminded of one of the boys I “saw” in High School, and how I thought I was better than him and stopped seeing him for that reason. Well and that I was afraid of how my group of “friends” would react if they knew. And that I wanted to date another guy who’s parents had money. This guy lived with his mom in a little house on a street of little houses. He ran in a rougher group than I did. On the surface, he just wasn’t one of us, and I thought that being with him would somehow separate me from the group I hung out with.

I really liked him. But, I know it is true. I remember thinking it. I remember that it didn’t feel good to make that decision. I remember the feeling of wanting to be myself, but deciding to be who I thought everyone else wanted me to be. I didn’t even have enough guts to tell him myself. I had one of his friends tell him.

It makes me wonder what else I have missed in life by being who I thought the rest of the world wanted me to be. Don’t get me wrong. I firmly believe that I was created to be with Mark, and the mother of Michael, Mavrick and Major. But what have I cheated myself out of? What have I cheated us out of? Maybe better jobs, a nicer home, nicer cars… bigger, better, nicer? Just by working to be who I thought everyone else wanted me to be. It makes me wonder who I am? Do I really even know? Am I still living my life like that?

No comments: