Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Spring Break Fun... Mostly

One fun thing that I got to do with the boys while we were out of the house was to spend our spring break at the farm this year. It was really nice. We were there for several days and had a good time. Christy and her kids came and mom and dad were there. We worked hard, but I think everyone had a good time. I did a little landscaping in the front yard. The ground is all sand, so I had to do a lot of mixing of dirt, soil and sand. I did save the receipts in case my plants die. Mom and Uncle Calvin haven’t decided how to split it all up yet, so I figure this would either add “curb appeal” when selling, or just be nice for us to see.

One day we put together a basketball goal for the boys so they would have something to do while we worked. We made the kids a tire swing that was fun. We also went roller skating. We tried to work hard and play hard too.

We are working diligently to get the place cleaned up. Like I said above, mom and uncle have not decided what they are going to do with the property and house yet. But with the condition things are in, it will take a lot of work to sell it. There is No Possible way anyone in their right mind would pay what the property is worth with all the crap on the land. My Pop-paw was an amazing man, but I don’t know that he never threw anything away. To his credit though, he didn’t really have a place to “throw” things away. There are old storage buildings and an old camper full of all kinds of junk. There is old, rusted equipment in the fields. There literally is stuff everywhere. The house needs a new roof and by the way the A/C sounded, a new A/C unit too. One day when mom and I were working outside I pulled about seven old car batteries and four or five old tires from around the bottom of a tree. Can you say Hazardous Waste Materials? HA HA! But we still love it out there.
One of my great aunts had a trailer that I went and got on Wednesday and we loaded it with trash and took it to the dump. Now, this is a simple statement, but the complexity of the action was difficult to believe…First, this aunt is about 80 years old, so picture she and I putting the trailer ball on my car, and hooking up this trailer. Picture the trailer, which is an old truck bed with a hitch on the front and a gate built up on the sides and around the back. We will call it “Rusty” because that name fits in so many ways. So, we get this thing hooked to my rig and I get all the kids back in the car and take it home. I drive the trailer around the back of the house and me and Mavrick start throwing trash into it. We were able to get almost two full trash mounds loaded. Again, that sounds great, until I tell you that there were about twenty trash mounds. We had to stop because Rusty had an old rotted out tire on one side and I didn’t know exactly where, or how far, the dump was, so we were afraid to get it too loaded down.

Thursday, Christy and I got up and took our load to the dump. We couldn’t get out on the highway because Rusty didn’t have any tags and basically wasn’t street legal. LOL! Picture Lucy and Ethel, or Joy and Emma. We had to drive slow as to not bust out the tire. So after about a 45 minute drive, we got to the dump. We read the sign that welcomed us to the dump and it said that it would be $56 for us to drop our load. I told her to pull her shirt down and I unbuttoned mine to show some cleavage and prepared to do some sweet talking. As our luck would have it, there were two women working the front gate. We still did our sweet talking, and they did let us in for free that time.

So, there we are. Me and Christy driving through the dump to drop our load. If you have never been to a real live dump, it is just this huge pile of crap with no beginning and no end! I drove kind of close to where the pile started turning into a mound and backed up…as good as I could. I just cannot back a trailer up. Just can’t! Anyway, we got out and started to unload. Have you ever been on site at the dump? WOW! Most of you know that my gag reflex is directly connected to my nose. Have I mentioned how bad stinky it was? Oh My God! If I was getting paid, I would have charged double! It was so BAD! Christy and I gagged and choked, and I don’t know how, but we didn’t vomit! It smells 10 times worse than you could ever imagine. This pic was after we got back.
Then these guys drove up in a dump truck and dropped their load. They just looked at us. The longer it took us to unload the more pissed we got. The more pissed we got, the more we started to laugh. It was literally the nastiest thing I have ever done. Oh, I was cussing up a storm. Christy swore that she had the smell stuck in her nose hairs for days. The nastiest thing I have ever done.
BTW - When we got back from roller skating that afternoon, the tire that I was worried about was flat. God was definately with us and helped us return safely!

The next day, my crazy sister got dressed to mulch up some of the leaves that were everywhere! As it was starting to warm up, we wanted to get a start on a little snake prevention!

2 comments:

Christy said...

I AM LAUGHING SO DAMN HARD, I'M CRYING. LOVE IT!!! THAT WAS SO FUN... now!

the mom said...

Was that an accurate description? Could you FEEL my pain?