Thursday, August 7, 2008

I have become my mother!

Most people know that I grew up a TK… a Tupperware kid. Surrounded by the ultimate optimist and brainwashed by Zig Ziggler, I really can do anything, and I am afraid of very little. We went places with her that most mom’s wouldn’t take their kids. Especially at night! I remember going with mom to Tupperware parties in “the ghetto” and “barrio.” She possibly took us with her as some type of protection, as if it would be more difficult to take two of us out than it would be to take one.

So, yesterday I got a call from a Hispanic couple who needed an apartment. I pulled them a list and told them I would call them today at 6:00. I will be the first to say there is a huge language barrier because other than being able to order a beer, I speak no Spanish! Anyway, I found five properties for them to go to. I took the list with me in the car today and went to Frisco with the kids and then over to Christy’s. I figured we would be late so I would call this family on the way home. I called them and told them that I would bring the list by. At this point, I am hoping that if they see my face they will remember that I am their referral source on their application, and my chance of getting paid would increase greatly.

I called and they said come on by! There were several families living in this house on the corner with no grass in the front yard. I had all three of my kids in the car, so I left it running, told the boys to sit tight and locked the doors. Before I got up the sidewalk there were seven or eight kids in the front yard. A very pretty young girl became my translator and I explained the list to the couple. THEN, they asked her something and she asked me “Can you go with them?” “Sure, can you follow me?”

So, they followed me over to the property. I pulled ALL of my kids out of the car and we ALL went into the apartment office. Let me paint this a little more for you. I am wearing tan shorts and a brown tank top, brown flip-flops, have a baby on my hip, pulling tweedle-dee and tweedle-dumb behind me, asking for the restroom… Oh, yeah, and this is the Spanish speaking couple I, “Miss Professional,” just called you about. They went to look at the apartment and came back and talked for about 15 minutes, in Spanish, so I have no idea what was going on. About 5:45 the manager, who spoke Spanish, asked if we rode together. I told her “no” and she said that they were going to fill out the applications. So, I told the very pretty young girl who had been translating for me that I would call them in the morning, and if that property didn’t work out I would take them to the others… So, that would be my second lease this week! Yea! Life is Good!

No comments: