Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Sweet Bedrest

Bed rest :) We all knew it was just a matter of time… at my Dr appointment on March 28th everything looked good. My blood pressure was a little on the high side, but lower than it had been 2 weeks before. My feet were swollen to high heaven and I was fatigued, but that had been going on for some time. My Dr wanted me to call her immediately if I started seeing spots, had blurred vision or headaches that would not go away with Tylenol.

Last week I started seeing black spots on Monday, then again on Tuesday, again on Wednesday. On Wednesday night I mentioned it to my mom and she “strongly encouraged” me to call the Dr on Thursday. I did and they wanted me to come in immediately. I wrapped up some things and went in. They weighed me and I had gained 4 pounds (since the previous Friday), and I was very swollen. They did a urine test that did not have protein in it – YEA! They put me on the fetal monitor and said that the baby wasn’t moving enough, so I had to drink some juice and try to wake him up a little. They also did a blood test and told me they would have the results on Friday. The Dr said “but you are done. You’re on bed rest.” Apparently she noticed that my eyeballs were about to fall out of my head and she added “at least today and tomorrow.” I said, “Oh good, I thought you were talking about until I had the baby.” And she said “Well, maybe, but at least for the next few days.” OMG! She told me that all of this was precursors to Toxemia, and we are just trying to stay one step ahead.

On Friday I found out that my potassium level was low. This can cause fatigue and an irregular heart rate. Well, there you go! So I missed most of the events of the weekend. Michael’s basketball game on Friday, and opening day for Mavrick and his t-ball game. But, my ankles were looking good by the end of the weekend.





Monday was my regularly scheduled appointment and I was 36 weeks that day. Mom went with me because I don’t ask enough questions to please her or Mark. Come to find out, the black dots were not believed to be caused by my blood pressure, but related to the low potassium and the swelling/fluid retention. Thanks for your questions mom! They put me back on the fetal monitor and we had to do the juice again because Major wasn’t moving enough. Then they did a sonogram – It’s still a boy, and he’s not shy. He looked good! She measured him and said that he is probably 7 to 7 ½ pounds right now, but some of that is based on his head, which is I am sure the “big Johnston head” that both Michael and Mavrick both have… Anyway, they did another blood test and she said that she had to induce a patient last week how was at 37 weeks with my same issues, but that she wanted to go ahead and plan for 38 weeks which would be April 21st. OMG!

As of today, I still don’t know the results of the blood test from Monday. Yesterday they had not received the results back by close of business. And I didn’t get a call back today. I figure that it’s not bad enough to have the baby today, but not good enough to go back to work. Now, after 6 ½ days in bed, I am still “tired” so I am thinking that my potassium horse pills are not making a big difference.

My next Dr appointment is on Monday. My sister is still scheduled for a C-Section on the 17th. So my parents are going to try to be superman and superwoman. Keep them in your prayers.

No comments: