Sunday, April 20, 2008

Major Delivery!





What is today? Everything still seems to be speeding by, yet I feel like I am in slow motion. Baby Major Trey Pittard was born on Wednesday, April 16th at 9:11 pm, weighing in at 7 lbs. and 15 oz, and was 20.5 inches long. He took the long rough road into town. It was over 24 hours from the time we arrived at the hospital on Tuesday night and the time he was delivered on Wednesday evening.


Upon checking in to the hospital, I was given something to help to soften my cervix. At 4:00 Wednesday morning, there was pretty much no change in my cervix. A few hours later, I was dilated to a 2, but the baby was still very high. By noon there was virtually no change. The Dr tried to break my water, but later we found out that my cervix was tilted and the water was not broken. In the mean time, the nurse moved me from one side to another to get my cervix back in place. I want to say around 4-ish, the Dr broke my water–for real this time. It seems like that was the time that things started to happen. And was really one of the times that we thought a c-section may be necessary. I was really having a lot of pain and the anesthesiologist was called back into up my epidural medication.


I had received an epidural earlier in the day, and it worked great for a while. But when they had to start tilting me back and forth, it must have pulled on the epi enough to where it was not working any more. As the contractions finally got more frequent and stronger, so did the pain. For the second delivery in a row, I found myself in full blown labor with full blown pain. The anesthesiologist came back in and gave me a new one with a bigger tube and more meds. In this process I cried till I had to have oxygen because it hurt so bad. I remember telling Mark that it was just “too much at one time.” Too much pain, too many people, too many directions to follow, too much out of my control, just too much. When the epidural was finally back to work it was full strength. And it was also time to push – finally!


I could still fell the contractions coming, but nowhere near like I was prior to the new epi. We first had to get the baby down before we could get him out. The nurse had me push with each contraction. Deep breath, push for a count of 10, doing so four times per contraction. The oxygen was obviously still on. We did this several times, then the Dr came in and we were ready to push. By this time I was already exhausted. I couldn’t tell where I was pushing. I had so much anesthesia that I could not focus on just one area of my body. It was difficult, and again, I was out of control. We continued with the same pushing routine for what seemed like 30 minutes. Major was finally in a position that the Dr could help work him out and after a few more contractions, he was finally in this world with us.


He broke his collar bone on the way out. My Dr didn’t know if it was me ripping or his bone breaking, but she knew something had happened. He was very quite, and I was so thankful that Mark was there with me and could go check and me sure he was ok. Mark reported that he had 10 fingers and 10 toes and looked wonderful. The team of nurses looked him over and said he was fine and that they would give him to me in just a few minutes after a once over.


No comments: