Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I'm a HysterSister!

I really should blog more. I don't know why I don't. Really my intentions were to go back at the end of each year and print the blog like a book and save for my grandkids to read. But this year has come and gone, and I haven't said much. LOL!

Anywho, let's play catch-up, for the grandkids sake! Well, we are in November now. Thanksgiving is a week from tomorrow! WOW! really, WOW! where has the year gone. Anyone who still reads this i feel certain already knows that I just had a hysterectomy. November is hysterectomy month :) If you recall, when I had Major in 2008, we almost had a tragic ending, and my body has pretty much been screwed up since then! My monthly visit from Mother Nature just sucked. I had considered it last year, but pretty much chickened out. Then, this year, when we had met our insurance deductible by July, I figured NOW was the time. Lucky for me, my GYN was trained on the DaVinci Robotic Hysterectomy in the year that I chickened out!

So, after much discussion and examination, we decided to do it. I like to think of it as just removing the old, rusty parts that I'm not going to use anymore. Of course, the only reference I had was when my mom had hers. I was in 6th grade, so probably 28 years ago. I just remember she was in bed for a LONG time. Later I found out that she wrote each one of us a letter just in case she died while in surgery! So, me, the one who will worry about not being worried, checked the morbidity rate for robotic hysterectomies. In case you are wondering - it is 1 in 600,000. Obviously, there wasn't much to worry about there. I considered writing letters, then decided that would only depress me and I don't have time for that.

As the boys all left for school last Thursday, I did feel sad. I told each one of them how wonderful they are and that I love them and would always love them. Once we got on the road to the Hospital I cried. I just had to release some of the anxiety. Mark said "why are you crying?" I said "I'm afraid." He said "afraid that you won't come home?" Then I boohooed. He told me I he was sorry, but that I would be coming home and I was not lucky enough to be 1 in 600,000 of anything. LOL! I love that man!

We got there, they prep'ed me for surgery and me, Mark and Mom had a chance to chat for a little while. I remember the Anesthesiologist putting a shot of something into my IV and saying, "OK, you have about 19 seconds." I said by to mom and Mark and they rolled me out of the room. Then, it seemed like 5 seconds later I was waking up and asking "have I had my surgery yet?" Indeed I had. It was a three hour surgery. That entire aspect of it is just remarkable to me.

I spent the night at the hospital and came home about 3pm on Friday. It has been a really great experience. The gas in my chest the first two days made me think I was going to die, which would freak me out, and in turn make the pain worse. But Friday night, Mark helped me work that out and it has been smooth sailing since then. Well, as far as recovery from surgery goes, anyway. Praise God!




No comments: