Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Special Day

43 years ago today, my mom married my dad, and so began a legacy of unconditional love and friendship. I am so blessed to have this as my heritage! Thank you Mom and Daddy for teaching me how to be a true friend and how to love without limits. ♥ U Mom. ♥ and miss you so much Daddy!

You probably saw this as my Facebook status today. It is kind of bitter sweet day. I am so proud of my parents for keeping it together for so long. Mark and I have been married 17 years, and I can honestly say it’s not always easy. There are not flowers every day, and after only 17 years we will both admit that we are not the same people we were when we met and/or got married. I can only imagine how one would change over 43 years.

The weekend before Daddy died, my three boys stayed with them. Mom and Dad were talking about something and Mom gave Daddy “the finger.” Well one of the kids saw and said something like “aaaawwww! You waved your nasty finger at Poppy!” Mom’s reply was simply, “that’s how we communicate.” Ok, it may not have been the most polite form of communication, but it was communication. I think sometimes we forget to communicate, or even how to communicate. But they still could and did, after all those years together.

In a Beth Moore study I was doing right before Daddy died, she spoke of our heritage. We are children of God, and we have inherited all of the good and mighty things that would entail. We were encouraged to pay attention to the legacy, the heritage that we are creating for our children. My parents were great examples of how to love each other through it all. I know times were not always easy, and some were just dang hard, but they stayed together through it all. Not even once considering walking away from the other. I am proud of my heritage, and I can only pray that I will leave my children the same legacy that my precious parents have given me.

No comments: