Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Truely Wonderful Day

This day started out with me waking up with Major in my face, just as most days do. But this day, as with the two before, we woke up at the farm. There is something about being here that is so peaceful for me. It is coming home for me. Me and the boys came over late Sunday and are going back with Mark tomorrow (T-giving Day). We have really enjoyed ourselves, but done nothing that we had planned on doing. I brought our History books and new books for the boys to read. We have done no History, and I think the boys have read just a little bit.

Yesterday, Christy and the babies come over. My big thing for the day was bricking our fire pit. It sounds like a much bigger deal than it actually it. Out in the back we have half of an old metal trash can sitting on the ground. It was so old and rusted that it actually rusted in half. We have the top part sticking up out of the ground and have burned in it only one time before. That time, the ashes came out around the rough edges. So, Mavrick and I moved about a hundred broke-in-half bricks around our old rusted half trash can. It really looks fantastic. We had a late lunch yesterday afternoon and cooked some hot dogs on it. It really was a lot of fun, and cooks some good dogs!


Today, after straightening up things just a enough to move around, me and Michael and Mavrick went outside. Mom wanted them to clean out the gutters. Mav was all about climbing up on the roof and going for it. We carried the ladder around front from the back, propped it on the roof and Mavrick climbed up. Then it was Michael’s turn. He went about halfway up the ladder and got scared and came back down. Mom and I were both telling him to go back up, and he turned to me and said “you go!” So, I did. After about three minutes he was up there with us. We blew off the roof and then they cleaned out the gutters. After a while I had to remind them that if they were going to be on the roof they needed to be working and not playing.


During the roof excursion, Mom was burning leaves out front. So when I got down I started raking leaves in the back yard. It was probably about 11:00 when I started. Finally, about 3:45, I stopped because it was time for me to go to yoga. I don’t know why, but it was so fun and felt so productive to rake those leaves into piles and then to burn the piles. I have recently had just too much on my mind, and it was so nice to spend a whole afternoon focused on something else. It was amazing what a difference it made in the backyard also!

Then tonight after dinner, we went back out to one of those areas of burning embers and cooked us some marshmallows and made s’mores! What a fun day we have had. This really has been a wonderful day and wonderful trip to see Mom and Dad.

No comments: